In a message dated 9/17/01 9:40:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> ...I know
> how you feel. I don't want to do anything but grieve either. Not yet. I
> don't really expect to ever feel completely healed from this.
>
> As we were out & about yesterday, looking at all the flags half mast, I told
> my husband that I didn't think we should raise them up for a long long long
> long time. And I am not a flag person. I would rather have an "earth" flag
> to display....
>
> Also I don't want to fly either. We have plane reservations in about a
> month but plan to drive instead. Also this week I had planned to fly to
> visit family half way across the US which is too far to drive right now.
> Forget those plans. I use to love to fly but lately have not enjoyed it AT
> ALL. Now I am not sure I ever want to do it again.

Kate and everyone,
  Grieving is appropriate for about as long as they are still digging out the
bodies, but soon you and I, we all, must snap out of it, raise the flags to
full-staff and get on with our lives.
  If we let the terrorists affect us permanently; if we let them change the
way we live; if we let them thrust us into a deep wallow of misery and grief,
then we let them win.
  I, for one, do not intend to let them win. I hope that the rest of you will
not continue to wallow for much longer. The sooner we return to our way of
life; the sooner we show that we cannot be driven down so easily, the better.
  Soon it will be time to find something to smile about. Start getting ready.

Paul I