"Kakki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I got Joni back a little when she dismissed the 60s, finally saying "well
>YOUUUU made great art during the 60s!"  She actually seemed a little
>embarrassed (but was smiling to herself) and then came back and allowed
>that Jimi Hendrix was the only one she saw in the 60s who could stack up
against
>Louis Armstrong, Charlie Bird Parker and the rest of the them.

I'm glad you spoke up, Kakki. Joni is dead wrong on this one (30s/40s
music=art, 60s=not). Including her own music, that of The Beatles, Jimi
Hendrix, CSNY, James Taylor, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Miles Davis, Laura
Nyro, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, and many, many more
was an artistic achievement equal to any music before. Is it a kind of
self-loathing snobbism on her part that makes her claim otherwise?

-Fred Simon

-Fred Simon