my city has been one of the most important opera and classical music centers
in the world for more than a century. because i've always lived a few blocks
away from teatro colon, and many times in buildings where singers and
conductors were staying while in south america, most of my encounters with
celebrities have been with opera and classical music stars.
when i was 8 i met maria callas [thanks to my mother!!!]. at the same party
i met pier paolo passolini.
later on in my life, i met/had dinner/talked informally with lots of opera
singers and some ballet stars too. some of the bigger names that i think you
might recognize are:

birgit nilsson
joan sutherland
placido domingo
rudolf nureyev
ingrid bjoner
eva marton
gwyneth jones
anna moffo
leonie rysanek
james levine
georg solti
samuel ramey
ghena dimitrova
elena suliotis
jon vickers
deborah voight
and many, many, many more!
these are not just people whose autographs i asked or that i congratulated
after a performance but people i established a meaningful rapport with and
with some of whom [nilsson, marton, suliotis] i still correspond.
as to other stars:
laurie anderson
rick wakeman
catherine deneuve
bruce labruce
richard carpenter, etc

casual encounters: anne rice in an elevator; william hurt in the hamptons;
and my favorite one of all: cnn's jeanne moos in central park!!!!! [if you
don't know jeanne moos, you don't know what you're missing].

i also met and befriended the jmdl's only true celebrity: robert holliston.

wallyK