Mary wrote:

> just curious - what are your favorite children's books and are there any
> commonalities among them?  Mine are Karen by Marie Killilea (nonfiction
about
> a girl with cerebral palsy growing up in the 1940's), The Little White
Horse
> by Elizabeth Goudge (fiction about a girl in Victorian England who goes to
> her uncle's country estate, and Tom's Midnight Garden by Phillipa Pearce
> (fiction about a boy who stays with his aunt and uncle and finds a garden
in
> "a secret place in time".

OK, confession time.  Not only do I still have all my childrens books (only
because my mother threatened to give them all away if I didn't get them out
of her house) I also re-read some of them from time to time, for nostalgia's
sake!

My favourites (in no particular order) include(d):

The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
  - The Magician's Nephew
  - The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe
  - The Horse And His Boy
  - Prince Caspian
  - The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader
  - The Silver Chair
  - The Last Battle
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Famous Five series - Enid Blyton (I could list all 21 titles here in
order.......but I won't!)
The Wind In The Willows - Kenneth Graham
Winnie The Pooh - A.A. Milne
Peter Pan And Wendy - J.M. Barrie (every adult should read this -
hilarious!)
The Uncle Remus Stories (Brer Rabbit, etc.) - can't remember the author?
The Adventures of Tintin - Herge
Maoriland Fairy Tales - Edith Howe (a "European-ised" version of traditional
Maori legends)

And when I was very young:
Ant And Bee - not sure who wrote these, but they were wonderful!
Noddy and Big Ears - Enid Blyton again (and the originals, not the "PC"
version, where Big Ears can't sleep in the same bed with Noddy!)

Hmmmm...maybe it IS time I cleaned out my bookshelves!  No real common
themes here, except for having good, interesting story-lines and characters.

Hell
"To have great poets, there must be
great audiences too." - Walt Whitman

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hell's Personal Photo Page:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~hell/main/personal.htm

Visit the NBLs (Natural Born Losers) at:
http://www.nbls.co.nz