My opinion, "O", is no.  I would sooner see you get better speakers (on the
used market) than invest in HDCD versions.  Joni's words, vocal style, and
piano playing are my favorite bits.  As an audiophile, to me, some of the
recordings have (uhhmmmm) so much overdubbing that it doesn't work as an
audiophile experience.  As you noted Court and Spark is an example.  [I
**love** Court and Spark.  This is not heresy.]  Alternately, an exquisite
pair of headphones is way less than the cost of a car, something I can't say
for exquisite speakers and a huge room to put them in!  For auditioning
headphones and speakers, consider taking along a copy of "Both Sides Now"
and playing it loudly.  It's a wonderful recording for judging stuff like
detail, richness, and transients.

By the way, you may want to consider purchasing used LPs as an alternative
to HDCD.  The vinyl is cheap!  If you decide you want better sound,
upgrading your cartridge, tone arm, and turntable are really worthwhile.
Best of all, it instantly upgrades you entire record collection.

"O" asked for opinions,
replacing my Joni discs with HDCD versions from CDNow.com or whatever? I'm
pretty into having the best sound quality, but I'm also a poor student, so I
don't want to waste my money!

Just my opinion,

Lama