"Jim L'Hommedieu \(Lama\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Gen Xers might be interested to know that Eric (god) (slowhand) Clapton
>bent his guitar at such Beatle gems as "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and
lots
>of amazing stuff on "Abbey Road".  After reading about the making of "Abbey
>Road", seeing McCartney doing the medley with a band, and seeing him talk
>about it on the Anthology video, I'm thinking that Paul was the third guitar
>in the medley but I don't know for sure.  (Previously, I'd heard that it
>was Lennon's guitar but John was preoccupied during Abbey Road, while Mac was
>there every day.)

>What I remember, is that God's own producer, George Martin, and Mac edited
>together a composite guitar solo for the final track "The End".

>And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love (drums) you make.
>(generic Beatle-ly choir), then the coda is the sure, slow, stinging,
>soaring player who brought us the best part of "Layla".  Not McCartney,
>not Harrison, but Clapton.

>pppsss If I got my Abbey Road details wrong, who will correct me now that
>md is gone?

Hey, Lama ... I'd not read of Clapton playing on any Beatles' tracks other
than "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" ... what's your source of info? Several
sources I've seen agree that the round robin guitar solo on "The End" is
McCartney (somewhat raw but fluid, bluesy), Harrison (more melodic, pointed,
a thinner, typically Harrison sound), and Lennon (very raw, primitive
chugging), in that order. I won't insist this is definitive, and might
entertain that what I thought was McCartney was actually Clapton, as well as
the majestic slow solo at the end ("equal to the love you make"), which I
always assumed was Harrison emulating his friend Clapton.

I'm going to listen again tomorrow with this in mind, see what my ears tell
me.

-Fred