On 06 December 2001 05:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> I've said this before, and it bears repeating now. It's very important to
> always keep in mind that there is personal taste, and there is critical
> assessment, and these are two quite independent judgements. Personal taste
is
> completely subjective, and something with which you just can't (and
> shouldn't) argue, but critical evaluation has objective components, such
as
> standards of quality based on a thorough working knowledge of the topic,
and
> a broader consensus tempered by historical perspective.

This is the whole scientific approach, isn't it?  But haven't they pretty
much proven that expectations of observers can influence what is
observed/concluded.  I think it is extremely difficult to be totally
objective about anything, but that's just my opinion, and I'm sure there are
more than a few people on the list would could write pages and pages to the
contrary.

> To illustrate crudely, if someone says that Kenny G is their favorite jazz

> saxophonist, well ... that's their taste (and their problem, as far as we
may
> be concerned). But if that person wants to extrapolate from their own
taste
> and claim that Kenny G is a higher quality saxophonist than, say Wayne
> Shorter, that's pretty much wrong, plain and simple.

But I think it's wrong before you even get to the conclusion.  What is
wrong, in my view, is comparing them at all.  It's like apples and oranges.
Within the context of KennyG, he might be playing saxophone better than he
ever played before - to the best of his ability.  There is value in that
effort at perfection.  KennyG's saxophone playing should only be compared to
what he did before and not to what anyone else is doing.  The effort (and
maybe even the result in relation to previous efforts) is what I am talking
about.  That is where the value is - this is what should be valued.  Anyone
attempting to bring beauty into the world, in however humble a fashion,
should be valued and encouraged.  I'm speaking very ideally.  I think
comparisons can get us into trouble.  I get frustrated with them.

I think maybe I confused what I was trying to say about valuing effort by
including all those names of people.  What I meant to convey by including
all the names was that the products of different artists appeal to different
people because of individual tastes and therefore, the products also have
value - this is what most people value or not.  This is where comparisons
and criticism comes into the picture. Maybe to someone, KennyG's saxophone
playing transports them to another level of consciousness where they feel at
one with the universe (or maybe that happens for him when he plays), but
this is a different thing than the effort involved in creating the sound in
the first place.

> In other words, it's essential to not confuse one's own taste with
critical
> appraisal, especially when the two don't intersect.

I think maybe we're talking about different things here.  You are talking
about taste vs. objective criticism, and I am talking about valuing the
effort of trying to bring beauty into the world - not valuing the result,
but valuing the process.

Marian