[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Ok, I bought .....Stories From The City,Stories From The Sea.  And while the
girl can really rock and she definitely has something.....she is not my
cup-of-tea.  I like more melodic tunes.  I listened to it twice, once in a
car  (a friend of mine bought a new car and we listened to it and drove while
I made notes and he showed off) and then at home.  Now my friend and my
brother who stopped by, really liked her!!  They especially liked the raw
rockers:The Whores Hustle And The Hustlers Whore.  I like music to take me
"away" and where I kind of loose myself ie time, space.......she didn't.
(Joni does.......that is why it can be dangerous sometimes when driving:DWPJ
(driving while playing Joni) Strangely though, I wouldn't mind seeing PJ play
live. BTW, the singing on "Good Fortune" sounded awfully close to
Chrissie Hynde (sp)
(end)

I was afraid she might be too 'hard' for you, Bree. I almost e-mailed you
earlier to warn, 'if you don't like Patti Smith, stay away..."

Personally, I think you probably made the best choice ("Stories...").
I agree that "The Whore's Hustle And The Hustler's Whore" is fab. Probably my
personal fave on the record. However, the new single ("This Is Love") is a
blast as well.

I'm surprised you weren't knocked out by "You Said Something" and a few of
the others--like "Beautiful Feeling"--that are (relatively speaking) a bit
more sedate.

And if you think DWPJ is dangerous, imagine DWPPJ. Watch out!
But then I guess you got a taste of that yesterday, didn't you? :-)

And Michael, have you heard Ute Lemper's "Punishing Kiss"?
Another album that has that dramatic, European, cabaret-type feel (like "To
Bring You...").
Marianne Faithfull's record "20th Century Blues" is another one, recorded
live in Paris at "The New Morning" club.
And finally---for the real thing---check out Lotte Lenya's (wife of Kurt
Weill) old recordings. Or Edith Piaf or Marlene Dietrich, for that matter.

XXXOOO,
Billy

np---"The Vogue Years" by Francoise Hardy.