Clive is one in a million and knows how to pick em.  He was very high on
Janis and did her career much good.  He said publicly that she was most
special to him out of those he had worked with.
   I was pretty interested in the list of female singers and amazed that I
did not know who a great deal of them were, not only that but had never
heard their names.  I would have to put Janis at #1..  Interesting that
Brenda mentioned Faith Hill.  Her version of Janis' "Piece of My Heart" was
dreadful and I read that she had never even heard of Janis when she recorded
it.  Can you imagine?

Mack

> Clive is arguably one of the most powerful record executives when it comes
> media manipulation (probably only second to Tommy Mottola).  He has the
press
> in his pocket.  (Witness Whitney Houston's embarrassing and public drug
abuse
> descent which even the mainstream media started covering after Clive's
> departure.  Her problem started long before she married Bobby Brown but
Clive
> kept the wolves at bay for years.)  And he has pulled out all the stops
for
> Alicia.  Success breeds success for new artists and he made sure that her
album
> charted high the first week.  She's had all the right magazine covers and
> television performances.  It's been years since an independent label has
pulled
> off something like this.  Clive is proving that he can not only have
success
> with immense talents like Whitney & Aretha but also with mediocre talent
like
> Alicia.
>
> Alicia's appearance on Oprah undoubtedly helped her with the soccer mom
set,
> although she sounded like she was at a high school talent contest to me -
> nervous vocal cracks and all.  (India Arie was on the same show and did
only a
> little better.  Jill Scott, however!  Quite simply, she rocked the house.)
> thought Alicia's performance of the Donny Hathaway tune was rife with
pitch
> problems and not fitting the genius legacy of the man, let alone the
fairly
> high calibur of performances that evening.  (If you want a treat, hear
Kenny
> Lattimore or Donny's daughter Lalah perform it.)
>
> If you want the real goods on "new soul" check out the new album from
Alicia's
> label mate Angie Stone.
>
> Brenda
>
> Finally returning from a long absence driven by work - something quite
welcomed
> given the slow year I was having.  You guys sure have been busy lately!
I've