"All the hard-core music fans I know are mystified by
her success, but the homebound 40-something white
suburban soccer moms in my office go crazy for her.
Even *with* the braids (and the profanity).  She's
touching some kind of nerve I just don't get.  As
boring as I find her, I find the phenomenon of her
success fascinating, since I don't even feel like
she's been marketed *that* aggressively.  Weird."

You have homebound soccer moms in your office? Just what kind of business is
it anyway?

Seriously, don't rag on the girl too much. She actually plays an instrument,
fairly well apparently, and she writes her own songs, banal as they may be,
and she really sings with her real voice.  And from the perspective of the
mother of a 12 year old girl, she thankfully is more famous for her vocal
chords than her belly button. I for one applaud the trend and will do
nothing to discourage it.

And besides all that, I found her performance on the Tribute to America
program to be quite inspired and moving.  So there!

Sybil
40-something, white, not homebound, hates soccer