Can anyone recommend a good book to read?  I'm bored
and I have nothing to read right now.  Since I've been
driving to work, I've lost my subway-reading-time, so
it's taking me a lot longer to read a book and I can
only renew at the library for so long before they
won't let me renew it anymore.

I'm looking for something uplifting but not trite. If
it has a message, it shouldn't bang you over the head
with it.  It can be funny, sad, tragic or exciting -
better yet, all of these.  It has to be intelligent,
but not intellectual.

Apart from that, I'm not fussy - fact or fiction,
bring it on!