Well, in my opinion, that makes the movie *exactly* like the book.  It's
been many years since I read the books, but I recall that they were the
most richly imagined and poorly plotted books I had ever read. Perhaps
there was character development in the fiction; I don't remember, but I do
remember that, having set up this magical kingdom, the plot was just one
battle and harrowing escape after another.