I think i've posted about this before on JMDL, so i risk repeating myself:-)
I'm a fan of the book, just finished reading it again, in fact.  It's fair
to say i really really love the book.
I did not think the film weas perfect. Excellent yes, not perfect.It was for
the most part visually stunning, atmospherically impressive and truly
captivating. I am coming from the point of view of a fan, of course. Elijah
*is* Frodo.  McKellen is superb; apparently he was copying Tokiens own voice
when playing Gandalf!  and Christopher Lee, well now, i am so surprised.  I
saw him in the Gormenghast trilogy last year, and though he was wooden and
purely awful!  In this movie he was great.  As for Aragorn- uttelry perfect!
Galadriel was very surprising. Not at all what i had interpreted from the
book.
the movie interpretation of Galadriel is light years from my interpretation
of her ( and frankly, i prefer the sad, forlorn, somber, reluctant Galadriel
in my head to the scary, reluctant, scary one in the movie!).

Jackson's vision of Middle Earth is perhaps as close to Tolkiens own vision
as we'll ever see.  This may not be perfect for some us, but still pretty
close.
 There are some very funny moments, most especially due to Pip and Merry, of
course.  They have been reduced to clowns basically.  The characters of
Legolas and Gimli are reduced to lots of standing around with the odd line
in the movie; gone are all those nuances that made them so loveable in the
books- including, as Victor pointed out i think, their developing
friendship.  Boromirs death is sad, the audience sat in disbelief for that.
But it was after Gandalfs death in Moria that noone moved!! (couldnt help
feeling smug when a lot of people were like "he cant die" and "oh my god,
what will they do without him " and "nah, he cant be dead!!" hehe).

Tom Bombadil is not in this movie, as we knew before hand. I guess he isn't
entirely relevant to the advancement of the story, but it is such a
wonderful little chapter. The film kept all of the key features and
characters from the book. The immense detail the novel indulges in, of
course, had to be cut down some for a cinematic venture. If one had not read
the books, ones understanding might have been a little marred. My sister
(and yes, she *loved* it, hasnt read it) really had to concentrate at some
points to keep it all straight in her head, not so much as to render much
negativity on the film.
i didn't have to concentrate to follow the endless stream of, what in Star
Trek fandom could be called, "technobabble"- Rivendell, Balrog, Isengard,
Lothlorien, Haldir, Palan'tir, Orc, Nazgul, Galadriel, Elrond etc etc etc,
you know, all these strange words that assault the viewer.
Detailed and important parts of the book are reduced to mere fleeting
episodes in the movie,  but this this isn't necesarily or entirely a bad
thing, it is probably needed to maintain the pace of film.And we have to
admit, that pace is required for a "blcokbuster". AT just under three hours,
it was imperative for Peter Jackson to keep everything moving and
interesting for the general public. And yes, he really succeeded.

The major problem that i found with the movie was that it all felt very
contrived; and very didactic.  None of that letting the audience think for
themselves crap!!!!   i saw the movie twice, and my enjoyment was not at all
marred by the fact that i had seen it already, in fact, some things seemed
clearer to me the second time i saw the the film. and some things impressed
me even more!
overall, i had fun comparing my impressions of the book to the equivalent
parts of the movie.  I found it to be faithful and satisfying.  a wonderful
film based on an amazing book. Jackson is not ripping us off; he is not
cheating us. Any disappointments i expressed here are probably inevitable
considering my feelings for the book.
I would highly recommend the movie to anyone.
GARRET