Darn, there are a lot of lesbians around here.  I like that.   I remember
watching the Color Purple with my mother (someone else posted that they
thought the movie was as good as the book, I liked the movie much more than
the book.  Was pretty disappointed by it.   On that subject: I loved Gone
with the Wind (who didn't) and had seen it many times before I read the
novel.  The movie is extraordinary (Leslie Howard, now that could make
someone happy forever) but the book, in my opinion, was even better.
Couldn't put it down.  )  Back to the Color Purple.   Was watching it with
my mother and the scene where celie and shug are kissing came up.  I figured
my mother would freak and I was pretty embarrassed.  She took it pretty
well.  I kept my mouth shut.

mack

> Kerry wrote, about Fried Green Tomatoes:
>
> > It's just a shame that they had to "clean up" the lesbian content.
> > It's an interesting quandry, though.  Do you make a movie that's totally
> > true to the book or do you strive to make it palatable for a mass
> > audience?  I consider it a wonderful "lesbian movie" because I read the
> > book and could see (and feel) the love that Ruth and Idgie felt for each
> > other on the screen.  However, my mother enjoyed it and I'm sure did
> > not see any lesbian content at all.
>
> When that movie was first released, I was really annoyed by the "clean
up."  Now though, I treasure the idea that unless you've read the book, you
might not pick up on Ruth and Idgie's real relationship ... so it's a nice
little "inside secret," if you will.