PBS TV SHOW NOVEMBER 30TH 1969:
"A few years ago a read a trilogy by an englishman named Tolkien [audience
claps], and eh, it left a big impression on me because there are so many
different ways that you can read your own things inot it and, well, get your
own hope and light and everything from it.  My favourite character, of
course, was a lady wizard by the name of Galadriel. And when the traverllers
came to her kingdom before they had to venture off into very dangerous
places and everything, she gave them a vial of light and she said "take this
vial and whenever you're in a dark place, take it out" you know. Well,being
into metaphors a lot myself,  I decided that what she probably was giving
them was a memory of a beautiful time, and with that interpretation and her
hope and her memory, well [ strumming/tuning] i borrowed a phrase from him
"the wilderland" which was a place that they had to go through, and the
wilderland is just like it sounded; it's a wilderness and full of all kinds
of hairy monsters and things, just like life.
[strumming/tuning].  I knew that one was out.
So, i call this song "I Think I Understand, Fear Is Like A Wilderland"

Daylight falls upon the path
The forest falls behind
Today I am not prey to dark uncertainty
The shadow trembles in its wrath
I've robbed its blackness blind
And tasted sunlight as my fear came clear to me

I think I understand
Fear is like a wilderland
Stepping stones or sinking sand

Now the way leads to the hills
Above the steeple's chime
Below me sleepy rooftops round the harbor
It's there I'll take my thirsty fill
Of friendship over wine
Forgetting fear but never disregarding her

Oh, I think I understand
Fear is like a wilderland
Stepping stones or sinking sand

Sometimes voices in the night
Will call me back again
Back along the pathway of a troubled mind
When forests rise to block the light
That keeps a traveler sane
I'll challenge them with flashes from a brighter time

Oh, I think I understand
Fear is like a wilderland
Stepping stones and sinking sand."

HOT PRESS MAGAZINE, MARCH 30TH 2000

"I admit that the first songs I wrote were not very soul-searching. They
were very young. Lines like 'night in the city looks pretty to me.' Although
I did write 'Both Sides Now' as one of those first ten songs. But that is
half naive and half worldly. Each verse alternates in that way.

Elaborating on the genesis of one of her most famous songs Joni explains
that its roots also stem, in part, from a fairy tale she was writing. "It
was called Mythology, and focused on a place that had two kingdoms. It was
kind of like childhood Zen. The kingdom of Fanta and the kingdom of Real.
Fantasy, reality. And 'Both Sides Now' came out of that mythology, from
Siquomb, the queen of that mythology. It was a children's story! And yet
people say it's narcissistic because I'm referring to myself. But it was the
queen of the kingdom of Fanta singing. And the whole idea probably came from
my reading Lord of The Rings. That was a direct influence."