Thanks again for all the suggestions for 'murder songs'. Id just like to
mention some points on this theme. Beware of taking the phrase 'hit me'
to mean violence. I think there are many uses of this phrase and when I
hear it I see Tom Waits in a bar saying hit me again to the barman. Other
metaphorical uses are at work everywhere, as with Neil Young's 'taking me
for a ride'. I see 'Down by the River' as being about a woman, not a car,
but that's just my take.

I don't want to get into criticising black rap bands, for many reasons.
My whole point is that these types of songs have been around as long as
folk songs have existed and are not exclusive to young (mostly) black
bands. Further to that last point, it is important that these songs claim
or seek male fellowship in order to minimise/excuse the violence, and the
songs I've selected have infiltrated their way into popular culture so
well that the people don't even think of the meaning any more. Those of
you who have been in a working class bar in Britain will no doubt have
seen the old ladies arm in arm, swaying and singing 'Delilah', oblivious
to the (hardly subtle) lyrics. Same goes for 'Hey Joe', especially the
lines 'ain't no hangman gonna put no noose around me, just because, just
because I shot her down'. That word 'just' puts a chill down my spine
every time I hear it. I'm not concerned at this time in other violence,
as in 'Luka' or 'Earl had to Die' but thanks for the info anyway. I may
be able to use it in the printed version.

Two songs which interest me are The Tori Amos version of '97 Bonnie and
Clyde' and 'The Water Song' by Ute Lemper. I have lots of stuff by Ute
but I can't find this track here, although there are still some more
record shops to check out.

Finally, can someone explain to me what 'gaslighting' means in Steely
Dan's song 'Gaslighting Abby'?

Thanks again to everyone.

Mike in Barcelona. Still waiting for the REAL story behind 'Not to
Blame', which ties in with the male solidarity thing.