Your prof. is right. It's huge. As you may or may not know Hip Hop is really
big in this neck of the woods. Cash Money Records is based here and Master P
is from here and is based out of Baton Rouge now.  (all kinds of Rap stuff
but also some artists in the Hip Hop vein) I find that it crosses over
racial lines with the greatest of ease. I worked a hip hop show here in
Hammond, La. And the artist were from the Cash Money label (many of the
people I have worked with before) and the audience were predominantly white
(with tons of Latinos and Hispanic people as well). Probably 70-30 white to
black in the audience and all black artists. These kids walked the walk and
talked the talk as well as knew this music inside out and were as loud as
the PA system singing along. What is a mind blower for me is how the
suburban kids like mine that go to private school get into the whole culture
as deep as they do. They like all kinds of music including Joni Mitchell and
Beatles, but there drug of choice right now is rap and hip hop and r and b.
Mikey even asked if he could buy some jewelry like the Cash Money boys.
Julian knows the lyrics to so much of the stuff on the radio and both he and
Mikey listen to so many of these artists. We were at a bike shop picking out
a new ride for Mikey and a rap record came on the radio inside the shop.
Julian pointed out to the salesman that the song was by Juve (short for
Juvenile). The salesman was very impressed and wanted to know how old Julian
was (4). It's encouraging to me that the kids seem to be color blind
regarding the music. I guess that's the way it was for me at first cause I
don't remember being into the lyrics so much as just the sound a nd feel of
it. Growing up in Motown and being surrounded by the sweet soul music of the
day was a blessing for me. It's all good with me but I have to admit that I
find rap and hip hop music tedious and boring (kinda like disco is for me).
I have had some amazing folks on the TV show (like the Ghetto Twinz,
Mystical, Fiend, Juvenile, Mia X, and many others) who's lyrics I find
really provocative and compelling, but I get bored with the beats. Mikey
says that's what he likes the best. All of a sudden I feel like my father
(only maybe NOT as bad). Mikey and Julian even dig the old disco stuff
mostly because there mom loves that era and they all start dancing around
are transformed into little Gloria Gaynors, Bee Gees, and KC's.
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Give me a stiff martini with some Joni back. Just some of
my opinions and observations.

Peace

Michael

P.S. I meant to comment some more on the culture and was gonna tell you of
all the hip hop arts, crafts, etc. that are being produced locally and they
have there own section at Jazz Fest and are being displayed in places like
House of Blues etc.