Recently I've been listening to 'Colors of the Day' and 'Forever' by Judy
Collins.  Before I bought these cds the only Judy Collins I had was a vinyl
copy of 'So Early in the Spring', another retrospective, and, buried away
somewhere, the single of 'Both Sides Now' (which was my first exposure to
Joni's writing.)  But I have been enjoying these two compilations quite a
lot.  I don't think her voice is quite what it used to be but in her heyday
it was gorgeous.  Very clear and expressive.  From what I get from her liner
notes on 'Forever', she has tried to use her music as a way to send out
healing to people during some of the turbulent times she has lived through.
A lot of it is very soothing and beautiful.

So I'd like some suggestions as to which of her albums that are not
'greatest hits' or retrospectives I should get next.  I put a bunch of them
on my wish list at CDNow (although I'm a little miffed at them at the
moment) and any suggestions from the group would be welcome.

As to Dylan, I've listened to the three cds I bought a couple of times (well
two of them anyway) and I have to say I am really liking 'Blonde on Blonde'
and 'Blood on the Tracks'.  The song 'If You See Her, Say Hello' really gets
to me.  But I'm wondering if part of the key to appreciating Dylan is
getting the humor in a lot of his songs.  Do people maybe tend to take him
too seriously?  A lot of his music seems to be on the playful side to me.
Usually it has a bite to it but there's a lot of humor there.  At least
that's my overall impression.  That may change as I become more familiar
with these cds.

Happy Sunday!

Mark E in Seattle