--- Kate Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> on a similar but less crude note...is the kind of thing that i guess
> coaches
> used to say to their teams such as "throws like a girl" or "runs like
> girl". i thought this kind of talk was pretty outmoded (publically at
> least)
> until i heard david letterman say something along those lines
> recently...&
> it really bugged me...especially now when women's sports are finally
> getting
> the accolades they deserve...

Kate, when I did my degree a few years ago, one of the courses I took
was Women in Sport in the 20th century. Sad to say that kind of comment
runs rampant still. I heard it first hand on several occasions, while
running, playing baseball, basketball etc.

Whenever I heard that 'oh you throw like a girl or you 'run' like a
girl, I could not help but reply, well I guess so, might be because I
AM a girl. (double whammy, a CANADIAN GIRL at that ;~))

I miss running very much. Guess I will have to join Jimmy on the ice
rink or the two Bobs in the pool! Speaking of skating Jimmy, I just
found a photo from my skating days as a little kid. My siblings and I
were in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs performed by our small town
Winter Club.. I could send it along with my resume ;~P

Mags...dreaming of running again soon.

np: the birds outside my window