Brenda wrote:

> On a related topic and for those interested, there was an article in the New York
> Times magazine a few weeks ago about the sizeable lesbian audience in folk music.
> There are some interesting comments from and about Holly Near near the end.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/18/magazine/18FOLK.html

An interesting article by the guy who wrote the "Positively 4th
St" book.  I went to a folk festival last year, and yes, I noticed
quite alot of lesbians in the audience (and no lesbian performers
on the bill that I was aware of). The vibe was relaxed and quite
nice. Most of the people at this particular show were over 40.
I went to Lilith, too, and despite a few standoffish looks, found
the crowd to be warm (and ages to be mixed).
I think part of the appeal of the folk scene is, as someone in
the article mentioned, the fostering of an environment where
you can just be who you are.
RR