On 4 Nov 2002 at 13:24, dsk wrote:

> Yes, but surely you'd agree that they use taxation in different ways.
> The goals are the same -- raise enough revenue and while doing it
> offend as few of the citizens as possible -- but it's not by accident
> that Republicans usually want less capital gains tax and Democrats
> usually want less tax on the lower and middle income groups.

This is where you lose me.  I don't see any evidence that the there has ever been
appreciably lower taxes for all but the lowest income group.  Looking back at the
those CBO numbers the tax rate, most of the lower and middle income groups have
remained nearly flat.  So I don't buy into the Democrats' commitment to less tax on
those groups.

However we can agree that Democrats want the highest group to pay a higher
percentage than everyone else.  The numbers certainly reflect that when you look at
who was in office and what the rates were during those years

> So I'm curious now about what
> you see as the similarities people can focus on in order to come
> together and make some changes.

Well, this will call for quite an exposition.  Off the top of my head, I will start
with

* Concern for quality education of U.S. children
* Affordable health care
* Retirement security
* Confidence in our safety and security as we go about our daily lives

I've got a busy week so give me a few of days to expound.  : )

If that exposition should move to the PC list, someone holler.

"Radio has no future" - Lord Kelvin, 1897