> Wish you all could have seen her...Joni was so excited in Toronto last
year when she shared the samplings/demos. It was wonderful to be there,  to
witness her exuberance.  Let's take it easy on her and perhaps take a more
gentle approach to this new body of work...and be thankful that it's here at
all.

I couldn't agree with you more, Mags.  One of the dangers of being on this
list as I have discovered with the releases of 'Hits', 'Misses', 'Taming the
Tiger', 'Both Sides Now' and now 'Travelogue' is that you hear so much about
the new cd before it is actually released that some of the joy of discovery
is taken out of it for you.  Somebody always gets ahold of advance copies
and being the curious beasts, hungry for anything new from Joni that we are,
we of course want to know about it.  And now we have access to these tracks
on the web.  So some people seem to have their minds made up before the
record is even out and of course they have every right to express their
opinions and of course most of us will read what they have to say.  And some
of us will wish we hadn't.

Blair wrote:
I doubt Joni wanted this record to be the next
best thing to Debussy, or Glass, or Edgar Varese, but to be only but true to
what she wants it to be.

Well said, Blair.  I don't think Joni envisions 'Travelogue' as a great new
compositional piece to be added to the catalogue of the world's great
classical music.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.

And Christopher wrote:
I DON'T THINK JONI WAS
NECESSARILY TRYING TO MAKE ANY SORT
OF 'NEW STATEMENT' BY RECORDING TRAVELOGUE.

And again I think you're right on, Christopher!

I don't think Joni was trying to record a great, new, innovative classical
or jazz or folk or anything else album.  My opinion is that mostly what she
wanted was a setting in which to exercise her chops as an interpretive
singer.  In this case, to interpret (or re-interpret) her own work.  She
said in some interview that as her songs got wordier, her focus as a singer
was to get all the words out and that she didn't have much room to play
around with bending notes or letting her voice 'float' as I believe she put
it.  I also think that she views 'Travelogue' as a chance to flesh out
musical ideas that she may not have been able to give full voice to when she
first recorded the songs or that occurred to her some time after the first
recordings.  And I'm sure as she went through her catalogue to choose the
material for 'Travelogue', she started to hear new things in her head when
she re-visited some of her songs.

I wonder how much input she had with Mendoza on the arrangements?  We know
that in the past she has instructed musicians by humming or singing or
giving visual descriptions of what she wanted them to play.

Finally, as I said before, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  But I
really have very little patience with comments about what Joni did wrong or
what she should have done or done differently.  It's Joni's record.  Maybe
she'll call you up and have you help her out the next time she records if
she really wants to know what she should or should not do.  My advice is
don't hold your breath waiting for the phone to ring.  Joni knows what she
wants her music to sound like, she knows who to hire to get it and she knows
how to get it out of them.  Sure you can say you don't like it and you can
say why.  But that's your take on it, not Joni's.  It's her vision.  It's
her record.  I'm sure she sometimes listens to one of her albums or songs at
a later date and thinks 'Gosh, I could have done this here!  Why didn't I
think of that then?'  But in the long run, I doubt that she has many regrets
about her body of work or feels that she made horrible mistakes in creating
it.  And if as long as Joni's satisfied that it's what she wanted, I'm
satisfied.

Mark E in Seattle