..and I was an 80's kid, and can relate to everything
on that list.  Don't get too nostalgic until its truly
gone...

I had forgotten all about the "home when the
streetlights come on" rule.

I still do not own a video game system.  My sister's
boyfriend works for Rockstar Games (who put out the
wildly popular "Grand Theft Auto" series), so I've seen
gaming from his perspective lately.  I personally think
that video games are the first form of completely
artless entertainment, but he'd disagree with me.

As far as Joni's comments go - has anyone ever thought
that Joni might just be kind of a windbag?  Every time
she gets asked a question she goes off on the same
rant.  We all know people like that in our daily
lives...we just usually tune them out.  The Madonna
comment was lame and dated.  People have been saying
that about Madge for years.  Get on the boat already!

Reuben

>>> "Humble tiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/11/02
07:54PM >>>
I was a '70's child and I can relate to alot of these
memories......I don't
think we had an answering machine until the '90's :)

Erica

<<<Subject:  WE WERE LUCKY KIDS

You lived as a child in the 50s or the 60s or earlier.
Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived
as long as
we have...
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts
or air
bags.  Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm
day was
always a special treat.
Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
lead-based paint.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors,
or
cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no
helmets. (Not to
mention hitchhiking to town as a young kid!)
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a
bottle.
Horrors.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of
scraps and then
rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the
brakes.  After
running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve
the
problem.
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as
long as
we were back when the streetlights came on.  No one was
able to
reach us all day.
No cell phones.  Unthinkable.  We played dodgeball and
sometimes
the ball would really hurt. We got cut and broke bones
and broke
teeth and there were no law suits from these accidents.
 They
were accidents.  No one was to blame but us.  Remember
accidents?
We had fights and punched each other and got black and
blue and
learned to get over it.  We ate cupcakes, bread and
butter, and
drank sugar soda but we were never overweight.....we
were always
outside playing.  We shared one grape soda with four
friends,
from one bottle and no one died from this?
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X Boxes,
video games
at all,99 channels on cable, video tape movies,
surround sound,
personal cellular phones, Personal Computers, internet
chat rooms
... we had friends.  We went outside and found them.
We rode
bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the
door, or
rung the bell or just walked in and talked to them.
Imagine such a thing.  Without asking a parent! By
ourselves! Out
there in the cold cruel world! Without a guardian. How
did we do
it?
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate
worms and
although we were told it would happen, we did not put
out very
many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the
team. Those
who didn't had to learn to deal with
disappointment..... Some
students weren't as smart as others so they failed a
grade and
were held back to repeat the same grade.....Horrors.
Tests were
not adjusted for any reason.
Our actions were our own.  Consequences were expected.
No one to
hide behind.  The idea of a parent bailing us out if we
broke a
law was unheard of.  They actually sided with the law,
imagine
that!
This generation has produced some of the best
risk-takers and
problem solvers and inventors, ever.  The past 50 years
has been
an explosion of innovation and new ideas.  We had
freedom,
failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how
to deal
with it all.

Before lawyers and government began to regulate our
lives,
for our own good.(?)>>>

Forgive me if it's outta place here.
WtS

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with
MSN 8.