Franklin responding to Victor

<Franklin> In fact the only artist, male or female that has a possibly
 comparable accomplishment would, in IMO be L.A. Cowboy.

Victor> Being as I've never heard of the L.A. Cowboy until now I can't comment on his music. But by virtue of that I would disagree with this statement and
ask if his recordings have had a substantial impact on music and why he
would be the only artist with a "possibly comparable accomplishment?"
Really thinking about it(personal favorites aside), a few people come to
mind...

Hey Victor, point well-taken counsel. Spontaneity has its all-too obvious drawbacks. First comment, would be that discussing past, current, or future impact (although, judging from his guest book signings - I read a some of them, pretty amusing - from the few who bother to sign those things, he's apparently already had an impact on numerous personal lives) was not the issue, as I understood it. The point was strictly about the conistency of "consistent, inspirational quality". The point, at least as far as I understood it was artists capable of releasing innovative, totally "filler free" album/CDs. There is a world full of great artists with spotty records (no pun intended) as far as timeless, meaningful, classic songs go. Sure, they might have a few (if one is fortunate indeed) songs on any given CD that are memorable, that become part of one's life.
Yet, to me the ultimate accomplishment is to release a body of songs (on one CD) that are so consistent in their appeal, social and personal statements, lyrical and musical quality as to deem the ENTIRE CD sheer artistry - timelessly significant. The kind of CD where one doesn't hit the "skip" button multiple times just to get to those one, two, even three "gems". Now I felt that Lama's opinion regarding Joni's three CDs in question was valid. I also felt that his lamentation that few, if any artists have accomplished that feat was accurate. Certainly, the list of such modern accomplishments (60's and on) would be miniscule,in any event. Now remember - we're talking about the content of an entire CD, times three. According to that chosen standard, even one "clinker", or questionable "slot-filler" would disqualify any such list.

 Vitor's vote: Stevie Wonder
1972 Talking Book
1973 Innervisions
1974 Fullfillingness' First Finale

Franklin: I love Stevie Wonder, Victor. That said: I can hardly agree with the notion that there's not some "filler" on each of these CDs though. One of them might qualify (I won't say which) but Lama was talking THREE CDs with no "filler"(my choice of word). Sorry. There are several songs on the above applicant's three in a row, I would rather skip (not necessarily because of personal taste, mind you) than listen to. Simply because they're not there to for any reason other than to "surround" the classics.
and on each side you have 1972 Music of My Mind and 1976 Songs in the Key
of Life

Victor Van Morrison
1968 Astral Weeks
1970 Moondance
(skipping over His Band and the E Street Choir)
1971 Tupelo Honey

Franklin: Once again, Love Van Morrison (who doesn't). But there's enough "filler" on some of these to partially fill an intelligent A&R guy's (is that an oxymoron?) waste basket without a second thought. Remember, we were discussing a CD (three actually) with songs containing the mystical, elusive lyrical/musical combination to merit no second thought in hitting the "skip" button. Some TOTAL, timeless classics on each of these to be sure - but doesn't make my cut of "total play".

Victor: Neil Young
1969 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
1970 After the Gold Rush
1972 Harvest
(with CSNY Deju Vu inside there as well)

Franklin: Crazy about Neil and CSNY. You are getting much closer here. Two, possibly three between all of them (Neil's and a CSNY or two) but Lama also inserted the caveat that they had to be "in a row". Now as far as those first three Neil CD's go - there are some extraordinary classics here and there, but - IMO there's also a little "filler" also in some of them thar hills. CSNY had two that I would arguably certify "filler free", but once again, the caveat was THREE.
Nonetheless, you make a good point, and I really appreciated your reply. You might disagree with this one - but what the hell - total agreement all the time can get a little boring (note any Kasey to Kakki communiques...just kidding kids - lol). I would appreciate anybody else naming three successive releases that they think qualify for the "front to back, no questions about it, don't turn that dial even once, all the way through" nominees.

BTY you stated - Victor> "I would disagree with this statement and
ask if his recordings have had a substantial impact on music and why he
would be the only artist with a "possibly comparable accomplishment?"

Franklin> Although this was not a "qualification" of the initial discussion, I will briefly address it. Remember, the "accomplishment" was releasing three consecutive CDs that were innovative, inspired and enjoyable enough to be deem front to back "filler-free" (my description), not their sales or impact on the "public" or industry. Obviously, just because someone, or most people for that matter, haven't been exposed to an artist's body of work has little to do with its artistic content/merit. How many people living today do you really think even know who JONI is? It is arguable that if an artist can make a dramatic impact on even one soul,they've accomplished something. Then there's the thought that "An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one."-Charles Horton Cooley

But once, again - counsel - that wasn't the issue being addressed. So my finding concerning that comment, as far as the discussion at hand anyway is - "irrelevant and immaterial, sustained".

BTY I found it interesting that you mentioning: <Victor> "personal favorites aside". <Franklin> I'm not quite sure what to make of that. Since art, by definition, is subjective, taste, I would think that "personal favorites" would play a major factor in anyone's choices. I doubt you were insinuating that you were being objective in your category entries. Then again, odd as it might seem to me, maybe you were.

In any event, assuming you are a music aficionado, I recommend (or challenge) you to pick up the first L.A. Cowboy release "Farewell". I would request that you listen to and read the songs on the CD straight through three or four times - if necessary. If you find it qualifies as "filler-free" proceed to the second, then third if the other two have "passed" the discussion definitions. Should you find the first or any subsequent CD disqualifies my assertion, I will go as far as to purchase them from you (need excellent holiday gifts anyway). Now as to whether you will approach this "personally", or "objectively" is your call. You can find them at Amazon.com - I think, or at L.A. Cowboy's web site - http:www.lacowboy.com

Victor> no further questions your honor...

Franklin> Case closed...

"He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens
our skills. Our antagonist is our helper."
-- Edmund Burke (1729-1797