Joni and the biz, solo or no? I believe her complaints about the biz in
general are valid and always have been, but she's not going to win any
friends in high places this way.

I think that one way she could make a comeback a la Raitt, Santana or
Clapton, would be to collaborate with current musicians (like Santana and
Clapton have with Rob Thomas and Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds) either as a
natural extension of staying in touch with the musical community or as a
more calculated decision. But it's my perception that she never takes an
equal or backseat role in collaboration, preferring to "drive." And why not,
good on her. Which brings us back to the gender roles issue, perhaps -- the
bossy, bitchy female artist in American culture is not exactly beloved. And
she would have to play big stadium tour dates to promote the resulting
comeback record. She does not seem to want to do either, or perhaps no one
much wants to work with her, and/or her health prevents her from going on
the road.

A solo project, stripped down record would be so good... but I guess her
current feel for composition doesn't go in this direction. She's an
orchestral composer, "orchestra" meaning large ensemble. Or so it seems.

Just some random thoughts. Of course I would love to see her be happier and
more comfortable in the music biz, however she accomplished it.

> NP: Patti Witten, "Walk A Mile
Bob, the new CD is ready and available at CD Baby and I-Town Records. We had
a fantastic CD release gig last night. http://sycamoretryst.com

NP: "Cipher" / Gabriel Tavares

Patti
--