Wading through the many posts that have accumulated since I left work on
Friday...this may have played itself out, but on Saturday I read
something that I thought worth sharing as it relates to the "should Joni
do a simple solo project rather than get out of the business" thread.

>From Wall Street Journal, Friday November 15.  "Fed up with expending
hard work on records that few people bought or heard, and the radio
didn't play, Mr. Cash had considered dispensing with his recording
career altogether...Along comes Rick Rubin.  Mr. Rubin, known for his
production of cutting-edge rock acts like the Beastie Boys and the Red
Hot Chili Peppers, liberated the artist from the shackles of
record-label expectations.  His purish vision, boiling Mr. Cash down to
just guitar, voice and an endless stack of songs, brought the singer
closer to the true nature of his artistry than any fancy studio in Music
City could.  This artistic freedom allowed Mr. Cash to explore , to try
new songs, by young writers...to reinterpret old classics and delve into
his own back catalog...'Rick told me,' relates Mr. Cash, 'I would like
to just sit you down in front of a microphone and let you sing to your
heart's content every song you ever wanted to record.'"

I was struck by the similarities to the aforementioned thread.  I would
add, however, that it is OUR wish (for many of us) that she take this
approach, not hers.  She has chosen a route that is hers (not
record-label dictated).  If anything, I would think that her company
would welcome the much-cheaper route that Johnny Cash has taken.  But
certainly it is a similar lament in that he didn't feel supported by the
record company or the radio execs.

Maggie