> Today, Joni Mitchell is releasing a new CD that many of her fans -
> definitely this one - will not want to play.
>
> Entire review here:

The writer seems to know what he is speaking of and he touched on many
nuanced "Joni moments" most Joni fans know and take pains to know. LIked
that part where he said that her intellectualism made Joni a cut above the
rest, but that THAT caused to be an undoing in re-doing songs that take
the sass from the original.

I haven't got TRAVELOGUE yet (God knows when it will arrive in Manila) so
I can't comment on Joni's singing. But if BSN is used as a yardstick, I
look at that stage in Joni as a singer/interpreter rather than as a
songwriter. For obvious reasons. Joni's voice has this husk in her voice
that gets attractive the older she gets. And I feel that she has a career
in singing still even if she refuses to create new songs. I have this
sneaking suspicion that Joni might actually be channeling her lack of
original outputs by singing songs from her repertoire of 20 albums, just
like what the writer said (Carly Simon admitted that she suffered from
"writer's block" and was "hopelessly burned-out" during the time of FILM
NOIR).

Like I said earlier, the writer not only convinced me he is an old fan but
he sounded vaguely familiar. He sounded like one or two List Members here
or even the amalgamation of how JMDLers write. In short I enjoyed his
piece and even if he intended to make the review negative, its quite
obvious that his regard for Joni has not diminished. Come to think of it,
do we know anyone who claimed they loved Joni before but not now? And why?

Joseph in Manila
np: Pile Oi Face - Emmanuelle Beart "Huit Femmes"