The only real difference I see is one of function. The two can overlap (some things can be both song lyrics and poetry), some work better as one or the other. Song lyrics just have to play to your ear and your mind's eye, and can even be buried underneath the rest of the music... poetry has to play to your eye and your mind's ear, and the cheese stands alone. No music to hide it under...

Some song lyrics are great lyrics but lousy poetry, and vice versa... the main guy in Lambchop (Kurt Wagner) is notorious for writing song lyrics that look really terrible on the printed page.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I know Joni would consider herself a poet,but objectivly could she be called a poet?What exactly is the difference betweena poetry and song lyrics,anyway?

thanks,
"clueless in connecticut"