Relayer wrote: What exactly is the difference between a poetry and >song
> >lyrics,anyway?

Sybil Responded:
> According to my 10th grade English teacher, there is no difference.  In an
> effort to interest bored 15 year olds in poetry, our teacher brought in song
> lyrics for us to study as poetry - Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Phil Ochs are some
> I remember. And we went straight from that to T.S. Eliot. Her approach
> worked.

Just a big nod of agreement here Sybil.  I too, used song lyrics in high school for
poetry class,
but it was MY idea and the one way to bring Joni to school with me!  Sister Mary Anita
was soooo
easy to get off the track. She kinda dug Joni too! (Chelsea Morning & Electricity)

I don't think IMHO that there is a difference between lyrics and poetry. I also recall
Yoko Ono's
version of the Rossetti poem, "Who Has Seen The Wind" showing a poem can become a song
lyric, just
as we have seen Joni's lyrics lay themselves out as poetry.  Please refrain from any
Yoko bashing!
 LOL!

Certainly, some poems are not as song friendly or as purposeful as lyrical writing and
vice versa.
 However, they are both word art.  And festers may recall that Hell wrote one of those
2 forms,
call it whichever you like, to which Marian added music.  Which came first the lyric
or the poem?
That's meant to be rhetorical.

And in closing Joni is most definitely a poet.

Peace,
Susan

http://webhosting.yahoo.com