clueless in connecticut wrote:
>I know Joni would consider herself a poet,but
>objectivly could she be called a poet?What exactly is
>the difference betweena poetry and song
>lyrics,anyway?

I think there is a difference.

A song is made up of lyrics and music, each an equally
important and essential component of a composition
that would not exist were either to be eliminated. In
other words the lyric is written as part of a larger
work.

A poem, on the other hand, is written as an
independent whole. It stands alone as a complete work,
its music the rhythms of human speech.

Despite this, however, a lyric can occasionally stand
on its own and a poem can sometimes be put to music.
But then, of course, both become something different!

While Joni has put her creative effort into song
writing I do believe she could also write good poetry.
Wish she would!!

John (clueless in Sydney)
http://mailplus.yahoo.com