From: "Victor Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Franklin Shea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: NJC Lyricists as poets???

> Franklin> I beg to differ, Andrew. There is a WORLD of difference
> between a lyricist and a poet.  The term lyricist would imply someone
> who is addressing the specific needs of a song - generally three
> (rarely four) chords meant to charm 16.00 out of a 14-25 year old.
> Repetition, hooks, "catchy" chorus are all part of the "game".

Sorry but you are completely wrong.  Lyric writing is an art within itself
and the type of song you are speaking of is a tiny fraction of what exists
in the world as lyrics- it certainly doesn't fly as a definition of what it
means to be a lyricist and comes off as somewhat pretentious.  It is very
difficult to write good lyrics and the fact that they are put to music does
not make them less worthy than poetry.  It is just different, period.
There are brilliant lyricists just as there are brilliant poets...Neil
Peart, Robert Hunter(lyricist for the Grateful Dead), Joni Mitchell, Tom
Waits, Bernie Taupin, the list goes on...

Also, just because a song is simple and has simple lyrics does not mean it
did not take great skill to write.  In fact, it is very difficult to create
something that is very simple and yet comes across as brilliant.  Neil
Young and James Taylor in particular have mastered the art of writing
simple songs that are incredibly deep and powerful.  I wouldn't knock James
Taylor so much.  Many of his songs may seem simplistic on the surface but
they are more complex than they seem.

Just as there are good and bad poets there are good and bad lyricists.  And
IMO, lyricists would like to be known as lyricists and not something else,
as if lyric writing is somehow a lower art than poetry.

Victor

NP: Joni Mitchell "Nothing Can Be Done"

--- Victor Johnson
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit http://www.cdbaby.com/victorjohnson

Look for the new album "Parsonage Lane" in March 2003
Produced by Chris Rosser at Hollow Reed Studios