Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:57:41 -0800
From: "Victor Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Beside Herself - statue of Joni

 And I -- a non-smoker who regularly rants at my militant-smoker family
 and who teaches my nieces (ages 3 and 1) that cigarettes are "YECK" --
 agree with Colin.  Joni is Joni, cigarette and all.  I also agree with
 Les that it's tacky, but Joni without a cig would be less authentic.

But does that mean that a statue of Jerry Garcia should have him shooting
up heroin?  Both habits are equally "YECK" IMO except one is accepted and
driven by society and one is underground and illegal.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode in which Marge Simpson is asked to
paint a portrait of Mr.Burns.  His despicable behaviour really turns her
off on the whole idea until she sees the fragile, vulnerable Mr. Burns in
the bathroom accidentally but then finds her inspiration to paint him as
she has seen him, underneath his hard and cruel desmeanor.

Perhaps this statue could be approached the same way, and attempt to
capture the Joni inside.  I have no problem imagining Joni without a
cigarette and wouldn't even ever think about the fact that she smokes
except that it is brought up here so often.  Actually, I can't think of
anyone I know that I envision with a cigarette every time I think about
them.

I have never ever smoked a cigarette myself and so I have an easy time
imagining a world without them.

Victor in Asheville

NP: Nick Drake "The Way to Blue"