Lori,
Thank you.  This was very interesting.  If you know roots to
other words, or euphemisms I really would be interested.
Kasey

> Does anyone know why?  I know how the "N" word got started
> but I never got "coon".

There are various "explanations" on the internet.  Some examples:

1)  From http://www.rsdb.net/

Probably refers to the Portuguese word for slave pens or
barracks "baracoons". Could also have meaning as a shortening
of "raccoon", as raccoons have a tendency to steal.

2)  From http://parlorsongs.com/insearch/coonsongs/coonsongs.asp

The term coon, did not originally appear as a racial slur term for a
Black American, though over a short period of time it evolved into
that. In early minstrel songs, the "coon" was reference to a raccoon,
whose meat was supposedly preferred by plantation slaves. In many
cases, for unknowing composers, the term "coon" became entangled with
the 'possum, also thought to be a preferred food source. Apparently,
many composers were not very familiar with American wildlife and could
not tell the difference. As a result, "coon" and "possum" were often
used in the same context.

3)  From http://www.reporter-news.com/1998/2002/texas/nick0306.html

Glenn Linden, a professor at Southern Methodist University, said the
term originated in the 1800s and may have been used to compare chasing
slaves to hunting raccoons.

And you know ... there probably are more.  (All ignorant, all
offensive.)

Lori

~Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com