>>I guess what makes 'River' such a great song is not only the sense of
longing, but also the sense of *coooold*!  I mean, if it was me, I could
have written, " I wish I had a river that I could sail away on".  Or even
"float away on".  But "skate away on"?  Now that's genius.<<

it took me a few christmases to get over the lack of cold & snow when i
moved to california from the east coast...it just never quite seemed like a
real christmas & this song so perfectly expressed my feelings each year...