Hi Jim,

> The ad implies that Joni signed it for the purpose of
> raising funds for a charity or political movement.  I
> don't think it's a charity though because a.) they
> don't offer their non-profit # and b.) what kind of
> charity runs auctions on ebay?

People for the American Way is a long-time, well known political group
founded by Norman Lear.  I went to their web page and this checks out.

> I smell a rat.  If someone would cough up the
> $5,000.00 "buy-it-now" price, it would be a _purchase_
> not a tax-deductible donation to a charity, right
> guys?  Kakki?  I think it's a political group with
> some unorthodox fund-raising techniques.

I'd guess that whatever price is paid would be tax-deductible.  Putting
stuff on eBay does seem a bit unorthodox for a long established group, but
hey, maybe lots of people find eBay a good sales venue.

> 'roland' says the poster "has been sitting around her
> Los Angeles home ever since then and does show some
> normal wear (although no tears)."  Am I to believe
> that a.) Joni has proofs at her house and b.) she
> stores them recklessly?  The woman who frames her
> paintings before she photographs them doesn't store
> her _proofs_ correctly?!

This was the part that sort of raised my BS meter a bit.  There were lots of
the Turbulent Indigo posters/lithos out there for awhile.  "Artist Proof" in
this case means what?  My litho of TTT signed by Joni (purchased at the '98
shows where the signed TI litho was also being sold for around $175) also
has an A.P. artist proof indication in pencil .  What makes this particular
one a bit more valuable is Joni's written words to DED on the litho.  But
worth $5,000?  I dunno.  I looked at the litho on eBay and at least it
appears to be her handwriting (something everyone who buys Joni stuff from
eBay should carefully scrutinize).

> Best of all, this political group has a freakin'
> reserve "price" on the donation they're willing to
> accept in exchange for a token of the donation!  The
> present bid, $405, has not satisfied the reserve
> price.  Ahh!  So, they're prepared to turn down a $405
> donation to their movement!  Interesting.....

I think they are hyping it to get as much as they can.  It would be
interesting to keep an eye on it and see just how much it brings.

Kakki, just home from a too many hours of rooftop dancing on a "school
night" uh, oh  ;-)