From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Full-name: MINGSDANCE
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:47:47 EST
Subject: Joni Statue
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Committee Members:

I have two photos of Joni taken at the 2000 Both Sides Now tour in West Palm
Beach which I would like to submit for consideration.  Each was published in
the JoniMitchell.com Both Sides Now Tour Report, entitled "Mars Music
Amphitheater West Palm Beach, FL 5/17/2000".  I believe both of these photos
depict a very lovely, statuesque Joni.  The one where she's looking up is
particularly reverent.  Her shimmering hair and the pleated detail of her
gown electrifies her image, presenting an artistic challenge to the sculptor
which would age beautifully.  I am often taken aback by the staring eyes of
bronze statues, and believe that her pose looking up with eyes closed would
enhance, and not detract from, this tribute.  We remember Joni from our youth
-- many fond memories of her past like images in a cherished album.  Yet it
is today's Joni, as she has evolved, which should be immortalized.  These
photos present her in this light.

I was privileged to be designated the JoniMitchell.com photographer at her
Atlanta 1998 birthday concert and the 2000 Palm Beach event.  I also attended
her Mendel Art Gallery opening "Voices" in Saskatoon in 2000.  I shall send
you the photos described above along with several of my favorites taken at
these venues.

I will admit that I have no photos of Joni sitting on a bench.  We were all
amused by her comment that if she were sculpted sitting on a bench she could
come sit besides herself -- hence, the name of this project.  Although this
would be a whimsical presentation, I believe Joni's work deserving of a more
formal tribute and one which would be well received long after we're all
gone.  Perhaps a nice stone bench sitting nearby where we could sit and
imagine her singing . . .

Having visited Saskatoon I believe that Joni's statue should be placed on the
lawn of the Mendel Art Gallery and Civic Conservatory.  The lovely grounds of
the Mendel overlook the river which Joni often featured in song and on
canvas.  This venue is particularly fitting because Joni cherishes her visual
art career as much (if not more) than her more universally renowned music
career.  Indeed, she chose the Mendel to unveil her vast work of visual art
to the public.  Also, Joni has a personal connection to the founding family
of the Gallery.

I would entrust the maintenance and preservation of this tribute to a
gallery's Board of Trustees before I would the father's of a municipality.
Those enjoying the sculpture would also be more protective (and not inclined
to deface) if it were presented in an atmosphere of artistic sensitivity.
Although the City has another lovely park on the river near the beautiful
Bessbourgh Hotel (where Joni has often stayed) where there is more pedestrian
traffic, I believe the Mendel would offer more respect and, for lack of a
more descriptive word, more artistic spirituality.

Many area corporate sponsors are aligned with the Mendel and could be a
valuable source of continuing support for this project.  And I understand
that the founding family of the Mendel is still actively involved and was a
strong supporter of her exhibit.  Perhaps the family could be contacted to
solicit involvement in this project.

Incidentally, the Mendel's then Curator and Director --  Gilles Hebert, a
very impressive art exhibitor --  was extremely proud to premiere Joni's work
in her hometown.  Based upon my conversations with both Joni and Mr. Hebert,
I believe they would both agree that her legacy would be best preserved at
the Mendel.  Hey, wouldn't it be a boon to this Gallery if she also donated a
piece of visual art to complement this tribute.

Members of the committee are probably already acquainted with the Mr. Hebert
(or, if he is no longer there, his successor) and others at the Gallery who
could offer advice and support in this regard.

Please email me with your physical address and I will have my photos
delivered to you.

Thank you for undertaking this important work and for allowing all of us to
provide input.  I know that we all wish you every success!

Sincerely,

David Mingus
Fort Myers, Florida
(941) 936-7258