In a message dated 23/12/2002 16:16:25 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<<  But Islam as practised by the overwhelming majority of countries in which
it's the ruling ideology does not respect human rights at all. >>

This is offensively ignorant.  Have you ever spent time or lived in a Muslim
country?  I have, and I can assure you that you are way off track.  I've had
many debates with my family in Pakistan around this subject, and the picture
is much more complex than you seem to be seeing it.  I am not a Muslim, and
disagree violently with what is happening in some predominantly Muslim
countries.  I also disagree with what happens and has happened in some
predominantly Christian countries.

If, say, an English tourist gets lost travelling through Pakistan and knocks
on someone's door, they will be taken in and given shelter and food, even if
the household can barely afford to feed itself.  Imagine a Pakistani man
knocking on a door in a village in England, unable to speak a word of
English.  Maybe he will be shown that level of hospitality; more likely he
will be told to "get the hell off my property".  Maybe the police will be
called to report a suspicious looking stranger.  We may like to think we're
more civilised than "them", but it's not so simple.

Australia and the USA have participated in the genocides of their native
peoples; in the case of the former this was happening within recent living
memory.  Britain has colonised large swathes of the world, subjugated local
people, stolen their land and their resources and swiped many cultural
treasures.  Again, this is recent history, I have plenty of relatives who
were directly affected by the complete fiasco over the partition of India and
Pakistan in 1947, which resulted in huge internecine strife and tens of
thousands of deaths.

The thing that appals me about the West is the assumption that "we" are right
and have the right to tell other countries what to do.  That satirical piece
about sending a UN team into the USA to help establish democracy after a
rigged election - it was funny, wasn't it?  Only because we know it would
never happen, not because there wasn't a case to answer.

Azeem in London