Further to my earlier post on Rhymes and structure, the early verses of I Had
a King consisted of 8 measures. Yet Joni compressed them into 3 lines of
lyrics, so that they read correctly. Still, when one looks at the sheet
music, it is clear that all three verses follow rigidly identical patterns.

On the internal rhyme idea, in my restructured (4-line) presentation, there
is still some internal rhyming going on in the first verse

He's swept with the broom
Of contempt and the rooms
Have an empty ring

Here, I refer to "swept, contempt, empt(y)".

Also, the way I wrote the lines, they all pretty much use up two measures per
line. The one exception would be as follows (I re-write them to follow the
two measure structure instead)

I had a king in a tenement castle
Lately he's taken to painting the pastel
Walls brown                 He's taken the
Curtains down.

I had a king dressed in drip-dry and paisley
Lately he's taken to saying I'm crazy
And blind                        He lives in
Another time.

I had a king in a salt-rusted carriage
Who carried me off to his country for marriage
Too soon                        Beware of the
Power of moons.

Basically, the lines have 11, 11, 2 and 7 syllables (give or take some "grace
syllables").

Also, the chorus (which I wrote as 5 lines instead of 4) contains 10 measures
(2 per line my way).

My guess is that she slaved over these lyrics, just for us (or maybe for her,
too)  ;-)

.

Here's Michael From Mountains, re-worked similarly.

Michael wakes you up with sweets
He takes you up streets
And the rain comes down
Sidewalk markets locked up tight
And umbrellas bright
On a grey background

There's oil on the puddles
In taffeta patterns
That run down the drain
In colored arrange(ments)
That Michael will change
With a stick that he found

Michael from mountains
Go where you will go to
Know that I will know you
Someday I may know you
Very well

Michael brings you to a park
He sings and its dark
When the clouds come by
Yellow slickers up on swings
Like puppets on strings
Hanging in the sky

They'll splash home to suppers
In wallpapered kitchens
Their mothers will scold
But Michael will hold (you)
To keep away cold
Till the sidewalks are dry

Michael from mountains
Go where you will go to
Know that I will know you
Someday I may know you
Very well

Michael leads you up the stairs
He needs you to care
And you know you do
Cats come crying to the key
And dry you will be
In a towel or two

There's rain in the window
There's sun in the painting
That smiles on the wall
You want to know all
But his mountains have called
So you never do

Michael from mountains
Go where you will go to
Know that I will know you
Someday I may know you
Very well

Copyright ) 1968; Siquomb Publishing Company

Here, all three verses (as I have re-structured them) have the rhyming
patterns

AAB CCB

DEF FFB

This can hardly be an  accident, and it smacks of craftsmanship rather than
miraculous genius to me.  Anyway, I hope I haven't killed this horse. Music
and poetry derive so much from math and logic. Hard to believe Joni was a
decimal in Ray's Dad's math class. :-)

Bob S