FWIW, I identify as a Jewish Humanist Atheist.
You have no idea what kind of flack I get from some Jewish friends and
relatives who say- "How can one be Jewish *and* Atheist"?

Letting go of the idea of a god/God years ago, has been the most liberating,
wonderful thing that has happened to me. I call it my religious experience in
reverse...

At my temple, our rabbi is gay. The Torah is kept in the library, as we view
it as an important piece of literature, and Bar/Bat Mitzvah's are a time when
a child, coming to age, give speeches on a chosen Jewish hero whom they
identify with. This, according to our rabbi Sherwin Wine, who was one of the
founders of Humanistic Judaisam, is a more meaningful experience than reading
Hebrew from the Torah on a topic that a 13 year old would probably not relate
to nor remember.

I'm not a religious scholar by any means, and have only skimmed the posts on
this topic. But to the atheists out there, you aren't alone. To the believers
out there, Mazol Tov- believe in what works for you.

My best friend is Lebanese, American born, who lives in the largest
Arab-populated city outside of the Middle East (Dearborn, Michigan). I know
her neighbors, her relatives and have been taken in with kindness and love.

Anyway, I won't be entering in many of these discussions mainly because my
feelings, my "take" on all of this has little backing because of my lack of
knowledge of religious history. I can only speak from my own reality and 49
years on this earth.

Terry

<A HREF="http://www.addconsults.com";>www.addconsults.com</A>