That's so funny - the interview was in support of his new book and I can't remember
for the life of me where I read it. oy.  One thing I did get wrong is  - David said he
wrote "Axis of Hate", not axis of terror.  Boy my memory is going.
Also in the interview he said his wife's email did not get him in trouble but that he
left because he was an economic oriented speechwriter, not a war-time one
and the truth lies somewhere in between...
Jenny
 Lori Fye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> Even his "axis of evil" comment - which
you could almost
> believe Bush might've coined - wasn't his own; it was David Frum's.

Jenny replied:

> I just read an interview with Bush's ex-speechwriter this week - I
> can't remember where. He actually wrote "axis of terror" and there
> was debate over whether North Korea should be included or not. And
> by the time the speech left Bush's lips it had been changed to Axis
> of EVIL (and included N. Korea) - the idea was to make the phrase
> more biblical sounding, since Bush has had success w7th biblical
> rhetoric in the past .

Interesting ... I wonder if the change was really to make it sound more
biblical, or to make it sound more like something Reagan would've
said? (Remember the "evil empire"?)

Also interesting is that David Frum - who is the speechwriter in
question - was just on the Today Show this week. David did not dispute
Matt Lauer's suggestion that David coined "axis of evil." And, when
asked, David did not deny that his wife (Danielle Crittenden Frum) more
or less got him into trouble by writing an email to one of her friends
in which she exclaimed how proud she was of her husband. The email was
of course forwarded all over the place, and the subsequent
embarrassment to the Administration apparently contributed to David's
departure, although David claims to have already handed in his
resignation prior to the speech.

I'm not disputing the interview you read though, Jenny. I have no
doubt there is more than one version of the story, even from David
himself -- who, btw, I used to work for directly. He left the
Manhattan Institute (where we both worked at its DC satellite office)
just after Bush was elected, to become one of Bush's three
speechwriters. David was supposed to be writing speeches about
economic policy ... but ... well, he is rather verbose, to say the
least.

Lori,
who never should have worked for the Manhattan Institute
(http://www.manhattan-institute.org) and the Thomas B. Fordham
Foundation (http://www.edexcellence.net) - it was a package deal - but
who is glad she did for the opportunity to experience how the "other
side" thinks ... although god knows those 14 months drove me damn near
CRAZY!!