> Good article on car dependency in the U.S. and hence the need for
> Iraq's oil.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,11319,877269,00.html

Thanks for sharing that, Sarah - and Joni was quoted, to boot!   : )

I LOVE to drive my car, but U.S. dependency on oil is sickening.  I've
found that I love to ride the DC area's Metrorail just as much, and as
bizarre as it may seem, I've always loved to ride Greyhound/Trailways
buses.  There are plenty of ways that can at least minimize our
consumption of oil.  After all, even the oil beneath the sand in Iraq
won't last forever.

(And I've always imagined oil as the "blood" of our planet ... we're
like vampires, sucking it all away, leaving Earth dry inside ... no one
knows what the consequences may be.)

I completely agree with this paragraph, toward the end of the article:

"Those who oppose war in Iraq must work together to prevent the
conflicts that will follow if we fail to tackle car dependency. We must
reclaim the streets, promote walking and cycling, strengthen public
transport, oppose new road construction and pay the full social cost of
car use. We must argue for land-use policies that reduce the need for
car travel. We need "urban villages" clustered around public transport
nodes, not sprawling car-dependent conurbations. We can all play our
part and we must act now."

Lori

P.S. to Sarah - I haven't had a chance to download and read the
articles you sent about Iraq, but I will do so soon.