And there's more........towed for told, coby for Colby cheese
Riga mortise for rigmarole, left for let, seal for sill, and my all
time favorite......pacific for specific.
Kasey

Oh, boy.  Ohio accents.  Here we go.

"POO-sh" in place of 'push' is from eastern Ohio.  Just like "BOO-sh" in
place of 'bush'.  Actually, saying it's an "Eastern Ohio" pronunciation is a
euphamism for saying it's Appalachian-hill-jack-ignorant.  Ooops.

In fact, in central Ohio, we mis-pronounced Appalachian as "Apa-LAY-chan".
It was only later that a painfully correct social work major took me aside
and explained how deeply I must be offended those "who didn't have the same
ACCESS to education that I had."

As I recall, I said something like, "Oh.  I thought they just hated school
and wanted to get home to drink apple wine and neck with their cousins."

My father, who was raised on Long Island.  He always says "lie-LACK" in
place of "LI-lock" for lilac.  Anyway, when transplanted into Ohio, he
already knew that the top of a building is a "r-ooo-f" and was appalled by
the [eastern Ohio] "ruff".  As in, "Clem, take these here shingles, an' a
hammer, an' go-an' that there ruff but be careful so'es ya don't fall in the
booshes."  That's Apa-LAY-chan.

My favorite local pronunciation though was an odd combination explaining a
labor dispute at a place of business where they mix coal and iron.  The
Cleveland broadcaster explained, "Negotiations continue today at the Armco
STILL MEAL."  I swear as G*d is my witness I heard it as plainly as I am
breathing.  It made a big impression as I'm still talking about it more than
20 years on..........

I am my mother's son, for better or worse.  I'm just lucky that she taught
me to be a bigot toward undereducated folks rather than some other bigotry I
could name.  It's okay to make fun of stupid people, right?.......  No?Get