Sarah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Do you have an opinion on GM foods, Jenny? In Britain, we
are very opposed to it....

U.S. citizens have definitely been more accepting of GM foods than in the U.K. and
other countries.  I think the jury is still out on whether GM is the way to go - we
need more time to determine their short and long term safety and their impact on
non-GM crops and the natural world.  I'm unfortunately not up on the latest research,
but last I heard there was trouble with allergic reactions to some foods.  What do you
think?

Sarah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: regarding vegans and factory farming, the manure in Europe
is bought  from large farms, and these are invariably factory farms..... For that
reason, many vegans eat conventionally produced vegetables and fruit,
but very reluctantly, and the debate is always going back and forth -
about which is the lesser of two evils.

I guess I'm missing something...since conventional farms also commonly use manure and
other animal "waste" products to produce food - how is eating conventional a better
choice for a vegan who does not want to support factory farming than eating organic?

Jenny