<Sarah wrote>
<Another problem with organic food, Catherine, is that
a lot of it has been covered in shit from farms, in
place of of pesticides. Two problems with that: first,
the farms that sell the manure may not have been
organic and it may contain pesticides, and secondly,
in eating these foods, you're supporting the
continuance of factory farming, and the widespread
feeding of animals, rather than humans>

Had to jump in a clarify some things for folks
interested in this topic. The majority of compost
added to organic (OG) farm soil is not of animal
origin. Most is composted plant matter.

Most of the manure spread on land in the U.S. (I can't
speak for other countries) is used by conventional
farmers. And whereas OG farmers are required to use
only composted manure, conventional farmers are
allowed to spray raw manure (as well as human sewage
and other industrial farm waste products).

  You'll find many organizations that promote organic
food and growing practices also take initiative to
combat factory farming.

   It's true organic food cannot be guaranteed to be
100% pesticide/hormone/bacteria free.  OG practices
help minimize residue (through the composting process
and the soil on an OG farm which is a far livelier
digester of materials than on conventional farms).

 Eating organic doesn't support factory farming by any
means - eating lower on the food chain, now that's
something we (Americans anyway) could stand to work
on.

Jenny

http://mailplus.yahoo.com