Hi Anne,

Sounds like you have lots of experience in this so I have some questions
for you.

I react differently to different types of products that contain flour
and I can't figure out if it's the wheat, the yeast (I've come to HATE
the smell of the bread aisle at the grocery store), or the gluten, which
is what makes flour gummy, yes? Or, maybe they are all present all the
time. No, I don't think matzo or wasa breads have yeast, and having one
English muffin feels ok, but one sandwich with bread and I wish I
hadn't. So, what's the difference?  You can see how easily I get confused.

One question is, does following a gluten free diet mean staying away
from every bit of wheat, in whatever form it's been turned into? That
does sound difficult. It's put into everything.

Do you ever use rice flour? The only ingredient listed on the bag I got
recently is "white rice" so I used it to make a gravy. It turned out to
be a bland gravy but there are probably ways around that. And, of
course, there's still the "loaded with carbs" issue to keep in mind.

And another question is what caused you to go to a gluten-free diet? Or,
in other words, what were your symptoms that were relieved by your
change in diet?  (Personal question I know, a private reply is fine if
you'd like.) I ask only because I'm trying to sort out what exactly
causes me to feel so out of sorts physically sometimes... yeast, wheat,
dairy products, eggs? And I've read recently that people can have an
intolerance even for chicken, so there's another possibility. How did
you find out that gluten wasn't good for you?

Doctors and even a nutritionist I met with recently don't want to
investigate any possible food intolerances. I wonder if an allergist
would be more helpful.

Thanks, Anne, for whatever advice you can offer.

Sending you best wishes,

Debra Shea