Freddy said,
>>>"I knew someone who worked for Nimbus records <edit> He pointed out,
<edit> if the *room it's in* is not right it doesn't matter how much you
spend on a system.">>>

That's my next move: the room.  My present room is the best I've ever had.
I got out the tape measure to confirm what I already knew and it DID prove
out.  Sara asked what makes a room sound good.  Short version: avoid a cube.
Worst: 8' ceiling with an 8' width and 8' length.

Get the speakers out of the corners.  Put them on dining room chairs, 3 feet
(one metre) out from each wall and see if you like the improvement.  You'll
hear less "boominess" but you will hear the bassists' fret board and you
don't have to strain to understand lyrics.  Who knew!

If you have stereo, you must sit right down the middle unless you have
special (omni-directional) speakers.  My own brother has always put one
speaker in the dining room and the other in the living room.  Sheesh!  It
ain't stereo.  It ain't mono.  It's a new thing entirely that I like to call
"stupid".

That will get you started down the slippery slope.  :)

Lama