My thought on this was not covers that we think are 'better' than the
originals or became bigger hits but, rather, new approaches to the songs, in
tempo, instrumentation, or attitude,  that substantially reconceptualized
the tunes to such an extent that the new versions pretty much became the
definitive treatments. All Along the Watchtower is probably the best
example. I think Bette Midler's slowed-down Do You Wanna Dance is another.
Judy Collins's Both Sides Now would not qualify. Nor would James Taylor's
You've Got a Friend. CSNY's Woodstock would. So too would, I think, Janis's
To Love Somebody and, maybe, Bobby McGee.

Bruce