> Gael Barcia Bernal is a hell of an actor.

He sure is. He was also memorable in AMORES PERROS. A truly gifted actor.
Damn, I wish I look like him.

And as soon as the nominations were announced, its quite glaring who were
the people they omitted. Like Patricia Clarkson in FAR FROM HEAVEN, or
Toni Collette and Miranda Richardson in THE HOURS. And the omission of
Richard Gere as Best Actor must hurt.  And no musical score nod for THE
PIANIST? Who scored it? David Helfgott? How can anyone omit the nomination
for Francois Ozon's 8 WOMEN in the Foreign Language category? Or a
cinematography nod to THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS? And an Oscar
nomination isn't complete with the classy Cate Blanchett nod, don't you
think?

I am glad Philip Glass' score for THE HOURS were nominated, and my
personal favorite Thomas Newman for his introspective piano solos in THE
ROAD TO PERDITION (I knew there's someone other than me who thought them
very very melodic). And I am happy for John C. Reilly's non-bravura but
effective turn in CHICAGO. And for Nicole Kidman. And a screenplay nod for
Alfonso Cuaron's Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN. And Pedro Almodovar's Best Director
nom. It must be the black and white "enter-the-vagina" scene that did it.
I'm glad either way.

But Queen Latifah? Not quite Judi-Dench-steal-the-movie-in-8-minutes turn.
And a screenplay nod for Charlie Kauffman for ADAPTATION? That's too much
support for real-life Kaufman's in-joke that its almost a joke.

I am just awaiting Eminem's performance at the Oscars.

Joseph in Manila
(must be due to the humidity or impending war)