I dont as a rule care for Joni covers. At least, I
thought I didnt. I suppose I could be prejudiced. No
one, I thought, could possibly sing Joni Mitchell the
way Joni Mitchell herself could do.

So, what about if someone sang Joni Mitchell their
own way?

Pazfest, the two-CD set of live all-Joni music
recorded at the Howlin Wolf, New Orleans May 28,
2000, is an eclectic collection of Joni Mitchell music
sung and played many different ways. As always with
such things, I have my own personal favourites, the
ones that stand out for me in some way or another.

The first CD starts out with John Parkers take on I
think I understand (you cant go wrong with that, in
my book anyway, but add to it a voice like John
Parkers, and maybe you will understand!) followed by
his version of Both Sides Now. You may have heard
BSN sung by a multitude of different voices from the
sublime to the ridiculous, but I can guarantee youll
be singing along with John and having a good time
while youre at it.

The duo of Danzig and Wooley (Im sure they do have
first names) performs The Priest and  Trouble
Child using some amazing-sounding stringed instrument
(I cant figure out exactly what instrument that is,
but whatever it is, it sure sounds nice!)

You may think if you hear yet another version of Big
Yellow Taxi, youll scream, but John Rankin does a
very fun, very snappy, all-instrumental version here
and makes it brand new again.

On to Disc 2 and some of my very favourites - Kim
Prevost and Bill Solley with a cool and jazzy version
of Woodstock, followed by Both sides now. Kims
version of Woodstock is most likely my favourite in
the whole 2-disc set.

Following that are two by the Denise Marie Band, Blue
Motel Room and Furry sings the blues. Denises
vocals on Blue Motel Room are right up at the top of
my favourites list.

Following is a set by the jmdls own Michael Paz, with
his smooth and dreamy vocals on Amelia and Hejira,
with an amazing solo in between the two by Beth
Patterson, playing one of those weird stringed
instruments (could be a banjo, but it sounds fuller
than a banjo). Whatever it is, its lovely.

The second CD ends with a set by Bryan Thomas and his
band.  Now, if youve heard Bryans singing and guitar
playing on his own two CDs, Ones and Zeroes and
Radio Plastic Jennifer, you might understand my
saying that Bryan has one of those voices that makes
you think, Whoa, this guys voice is way too naked!
Put some clothes on it or something! If you took bits
of Hendrix and Prince and Jeff Buckley and you mixed
them all up in some kind of molecule munching machine
and then put them all back together into one person,
you might end up with a Bryan Thomas (or maybe not.)
Bryans guitar is amazing and he seems to have a lot
of fun with words. (In Black Crow he sings, Theres
a crow flying hes black as a highway, hes as black
as me; and later, I took a plane to a highway, then
I drove to a pontoon plane. Took a plane to a taxi -
big yellow taxi, just like this train.

If you couldnt be in New Orleans on May 28, 2000,
what would be the next best thing? The Pazfest CD of
course. And in acquiring for yourself and your friends
a copy of this excellent collection of live music, you
will also be helping out a number of worthy causes,
including jmdl.com, jonimitchell.com and the Ruth Paz
Foundation, a foundation that helps children in
Honduras receive medical treatment they would not
otherwise receive. Information on where and how to
order Pazfest were recently posted by Michael Paz, but
you can also find it at www.jmdl.com - right on the
first page.

=====
Catherine