Laurent Olszer wrote:

> A 2001 release I just discovered is: Blind Boys of Alabama: The Spirit of the
> Century....
> Also a splendid Danny Thompson on bass.  Don't know much about him except his famed
> duo albums with John Martyn.

Danny Thompson also performs and records often with Richard Thompson (no
relation). His bass adds depth and mysteriousness to RT's
straightforward, sometimes twangy, style. Songs like "Ghost of you
walks" are downright eerie because of Danny's bass playing. He's on the
new RT cd, and even has a bass solo.

Another person who's on the new Blind Boys and RT cds is Michael Jerome.
He's a fantastic drummer who I heard for the first time at RT's "1,000
years of popular music" shows last July. He does a lot of "hand
drumming", with extra beats thrown in kind of like RT's unexpected
flourishes, which makes the sound very rich. I don't usually pay much
attention, or know much about, drummers and yet Michael Jerome's sounds
really captured me. I'd expect he'd add a lot to the Blind Boys cd also.

> Magnificent album, drenched in feelings and emotions, as good as Ry's IMHO.

I'll check this out. Thanks very much for the description and recommendation.

Debra Shea